Friday 15 February 2013

Part 4: Assignment 4 - Layout design
















I tried different combinations of typefaces for body section, subheadings and heading. First I put sans serif as body text (Tahoma), serif for heading (New Aster LT) while subheadings preserved the same style as body text, but in different color. I wanted to be clean and legible. 




Then I used serif fonts as a body text like Palatino Linotype with Trebuchet MS for a heading. I made subtle changes with subheading because I only wanted to emphasize them a little.



I even combined two sans serifs and it didn't look bad, but they have to be completely different in order to achieve visual dynamic. I tried this with narrow font Microsoft JhengHei for a heading and Arial for a copy text although the combination of sans serif and serif looks better. I put a white subheadings in coloured box.

I also tried to pair the AmericanTypewriter LT Light as a copy text, with Banda regular as a semi serif font and it also created a visual dynamic. Banda has a tall x height and rounded semi serifs. For this combination, subheadings looked the best as a all caps in color.



The combinaton of Bodoni LT Poster as a modern serif font, and sans serif Avenir for copy text also looks interesting because of visual dynamic. I increased the font size for subheadings and left them coloured.

I finally found the combination which looked best to me. I used NewBaskerville LT for a heading, Frutiger LT 45 Light for a body text as well as for subheadings which I set bold and in colour. Frutiger is nice clean sans serif which create visual contrast with serif font NewBaskerville LT which is also clean and legible.


No comments:

Post a Comment