Sunday 5 February 2012

A few things about me


I was so excited to begin with this course! Since I was working as a web designer, both as a freelancer and as a part of the team, I had some connecting points to the graphic design itself. I was creating some artwork in the past using various types of media including charcoal, soft pastels, watercolors and computer software. I did some graphic solutions for the websites (alongside theirs program development), flyers, business cards, posters and stickers. Even though I enjoyed doing it, I felt a little insecure comparing myself with other graphic designers and artists mainly because I know that I am self-thought. I have always felt that I miss that professional background. I have never had some formal education in design and of course some people would probably say “Hey, it is art, you can do whatever you want , go with your imaginations, there are no boundaries here” but I know there are certain rules I need to follow and I have to get know with them. So maybe one day I’ll decide to pass them by:) but I have to learn what  could be passed by and what couldn’t. I know that many artwork  such as logo design, business cards, postcards etc. that look clean and plain, may seems as a easy job to do, but I am aware that it is hard to achieve that simple but effective look. 

For me this course presents one exciting journey where I expect to gain knowledge and experience I need both to enrich my personality and pursue my career. I hope this will help me to get a good direction, clear up vision of my future, and get most of myself.

When I decided to start my Learning Log I was thinking about several different approaches. I didn’t have clear vision how it should look like. Searching for valuable and inspirational artwork  in history of art and collecting relevant information I decided to present what I have learned during that first research, considering this learning log as a some sort of my diary. 

First thing I did when I received my course material was jumping through the pages of my book and read about history of graphic design, it’s beginning back to Victorian’s era, influences, and development of modern art. I find it very important for a beginner to walk trough the history of graphic design, to see how it all started. Who were the key artists and why they are considered as important figures? What was their goal and did they accomplished it? What can I learn from them? Finally how do I understand their messages trough their artwork?

So for the start I will make a small brief of graphic design history. I used OCA book content as a reference, but I was searching for various significant artists, their biography, social circumstances in which they lived and artwork they left behind. I made it as an small guide referenced for my future work. 

I think it was a good starting point because it helped me understand many things in design and also made me think different when I was preparing to create some work. And of course it left some question marks.

So let’s start this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment